Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Tranquil Water, Calm Current

My sister, Mary, came today for a 3 day visit.  The afternoon was filled with talk of two summer weddings ahead - both of her daughters will join hands with the men of their dreams.  New families will be formed and the cycle of life will begin again.  I love having my sister here.  She took pictures of RD and me outside under the locus tree.  She managed to capture some sweet, enduring moments beween us. I didn't want to wait even a few months to have the photos printed.  I'm always worried about what what next year will spring.  So much catching up to do which is a cross between family gossip and love spread around through family news. We've been discussing a newly announced pregnancy (nephew and wife married in June) and new jobs and new careers starting for all nieces and nephews in their 20s.  Gotta admit to feeling a bit odd at having to move over for a new generation of young people beginning families and careers.  Wasn't that just me a few years ago?  How did this transition begin so quickly?  I'm now "Poor Aunt Jo Ann and Uncle RD".  "Isn't it tragic to see Uncle RD like this and it's even worse on Poor Aunt Jo Ann"   Apparently, I'm seen through a new lens now.  I'm not the fun-loving aunt nor the sexy dresser nor the what will her hair look like the next time we see her kind of aunt.  Frankly, I don't see what they see.  I'm still the same girl inside I was 30 years ago.  Only the face and body has changed.  Not the soul nor who I am inside.  The outside isn't matching the inside but I'm thinking no one is taking time to explore me as a person much anymore.  It's natural to focus on your own life and the new, exciting events coming into view when you're 20 or 30 something.  I did the exact same thing.  Something is natural about the process unless you're the one aging then you kind of want to hit the rewind button and start play again.
My niece, EE, is one of the girls getting married next summer; planning a destination wedding to Mexico.  I've been worried about finding a place for RD to stay while I'm attending her wedding.  I can not imagine missing this milestone in her life.  She is my Godchild and the closest I will come to having a daughter.  She's my heart and the strings making it sing. Perhaps I shouldn't be worried eight months before the wedding but I've already checked out the local skilled nursing facilities and the chances of having a bed available for a week long stay seem unlikely if not impossible.  What to do, what to do?  I've reservations to make and flights to book without a clue as to his care for seven days.  Okay, the first suggestion if the most valid - take a deep breath and notice the tranquil, peaceful water all around you.  RD has had three wonderful days of "aliveness".  He's laughed and talked just a little.  He's eaten both healthier  and better than he''s eaten in weeks.  I should be grateful for the sweet courtesies in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment