Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A Reasonable Fall Day


Another perfect fall day, the last in fact, before wind and rain took the last of the leaves from the trees.  Walking can be exhausting for RD so the fact we could make it a sweet seat under the tree for a moment in the sun and pictures - priceless.  One week later and the sky is dark and gloomy.  A November rain (cold drizzle with intermittent downpours and sunless skies) dominated all activities today.
Don't know if you've been there yet but I hit a 'magic' age where colonoscopies are highly recommended every ten years.  I declined the first (age 50) but decided at 60 to pull my head out of the sand and get it done. Taking care of both my physical and mental health have moved front and center in my life.  Can't figure out how I would be a primary caregiver to my husband if I was battling anything more complex than a cold.  To tell you the truth, even a cold would be somewhat dangerous given RD's COPD and his susceptibility to infections, especially lung infections.  But I digress; back to the topic of colonoscopies... I scheduled a nurse to come in to care for RD while I made a pre-op doctor's visit.  My colonoscopy is scheduled for Nov. 30.  I'm neither scared nor anxious but will be happier when this is a distant memory and all is well with the world again. I've made no attempt to explain this to RD.  I'll cross the bridge to explanation a few days ahead of the procedure.  So glad I was able to find someone to take my place for the day so I don't worry about him for at least one day.  I'm going to be given demerol and valium so I won't remember much - sounds like a mini vacation to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment