Thursday, November 10, 2011

A Not So Good, Terrible, Horrible, Very Bad Day

Pacing, restless, agitated, and determined to "go home", RD was impossible to calm or comfort this evening.  Finally, in frustration and desperation, I put a jacket on him and off we went for a ride in the car,  looking for the 'home' of his childhood. When he wants to go home night after night, he is actually looking for the home of his youth.  Tonight I asked him if he wanted to go to the home he lived in when he was a child.  Without hesitation, he nodded yes and looked hopefully at me with a big smile on his face.  Night after night this same routine begins around 5:00pm.  I dread it more than anything because his demands to 'go home' are unrelenting and become more and more angry.  Tonight he got into the car and sat there for nearly an hour.   I kept going out to the car, opening the door and trying to persuade RD to return to the house.  My sweet talk produced even more anger and agitation.  I wish I knew how to handle this kind of situation.  I wish there was someone to talk to or to cry with.  My own sense of helplessness gets overwhelming sometimes.  While standing in the garage, freezing cold biting at my bare arms,  feelings of loneliness swept over me.  I am alone in this battle with Lewy Body Dementia and I already know LBD will win in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment