Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Two Realities


I float between two realities. My husband’s Lewy Body dementia is up with the sun bringing delusions and hallucinations. Holding his hand, I attempt to reassure and speak to the emotions the alternative reality brings. I make my best guess at where he is.
From there, I return to laundry, cleaning, and deciding what we will have for dinner given his ever decreasing appetite and weight loss. There is home repair to get done – the roof needs replaced as well as guttering. The plants need watering. If I don’t get the oil changed in the car before long, I’ll regret the neglect.
Boom, I’m pulled back into his reality of civil war soldiers sitting on the sofa (foxhole) and firing rifles. His good friend, George, is there too.
Back and forth I go throughout the day and into the evening. Our dementia worlds are different but we share a bond only we understand. Thank you for writing about our lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment