Saturday, September 24, 2011

A Saturday in a Lewy Body Life

I'm posting way too late in the day.  It's nearly midnight and I'm exhausted so I'm going to plead sleep deprived malfunction if I don't make any sense.
My sister, Monica, stopped about 12:30pm today to check RD's heel.  There is a worrisome sore on RD's left foot.  Do I keep it open to the air or apply antibacterial ointment and cover with a sterile pad?  These are the days when having a nurse in the family is one of life's bonuses.  She told me I was doing just fine and shouldn't worry but still, I'm uneasy because the edges of the redness seem to be spreading. Another thing to add to my caregiving list.
We went for a wheelchair ride around the block today. We have somewhere between 5 and 10 "perfect" weather days per year.  This was one of those perfection moments.  I didn't want to miss a minute of it and I wanted RD to breath the fresh air, watch the squirrels chasing each other, look up and see the hawks gliding above us, and feel the soft warmth of early fall on his face.  To tell you the truth, after we got back home, I couldn't tell if he enjoyed anything about the short trip. No response was visible but it doesn't mean it wasn't there.
My neighbor at the end of the block is a published playwright.  She has a play opening in southern California this week and then a New York Off-Broadway opening in January.  She stopped to visit as she was walking her children around the block today.  She must be about 30 years my junior but I liked her from the moment I met her this summer.  If we were closer in age I'd welcome a chance to form a neighborhood friendship that lasts through time.
My next-door neighbor, KC, walked over with homemade muesli for our breakfast tomorrow and $10.00 worth of spring bulbs she planted in my backyard so I could look forward to new spring flowers.  How can one girl get so lucky? - she shares her nursing skills without payment, she's a master gardener, filling my house with flowers from April to the first freeze and brings a couple of Smirnoff Coolers over after my husband has gone to bed.  I desperately need 'girl talk' and cherish conversation on any subject as long as it's not centered around dementia.

No comments:

Post a Comment